With the advancement in technology, computer programmers have designed highly beneficial Computer Numerical Control Machines (CNC Machines). The manufacturing industries rely heavily on CNC machines to perform operations like metal cutting, engraving, shaping etc.
CNC Machining is a process that includes computers to control tools that create different types of products. Common tools like routers, mills, lathes and grinders are incorporated in CNC machining. To perform properly, CNC machines require a special kind of software. It is the custom computer program that let the user control the tools efficiently. Moreover, the user is able to control the feed rate, speed and velocity because of the software installed.
In simple words, CNC is a manufacturing concept in which machines are automated to perform the operations based on the instructions fed to them.
When compared to conventional machines, CNC machines offer a huge number of advantages. Read on to know!
- Productivity – CNC machines are highly efficient at performing a complex series of action at a fast rate. These machines increase the productivity and rate of output. Thus, they can produce a greater number of items as compared to other manufacturing machines.
- Cost-Effective – Because of accuracy and high speed, CNC machines are not at all expensive. CNC machines make up far more than their initial cost and thus are worth the investment. CNC machines produce very less amount of waste and make the best use of raw materials involved in the manufacturing process. Moreover, very few operators are required to operate these machines. Hence, the labor cost is also reduced.
- Safety – In CNC machines, the entire fabrication process is automated. There is no need for a machine operator in the production process. Thus, a safe working environment is developed as the machine perform all the operations by itself without the presence of anyone. Furthermore, CNC machines operate accurately and safely on dangerous materials like steel and metal.
- Versatility – The best thing about CNC machines is that they can be reprogrammed easily in a short span of time. Thus, because of being operated on computer programs, they are highly versatile. Also, software updating does not cost much.
- Automatic – Once loaded, CNC machines can change the tools automatically. Because of automation, they do not require a much-skilled person and can be operated by anyone. Thus, with improved automation, the dependency on labor decreases.
- Consistency – As CNC eliminates human errors, CNC machines are capable of producing consistent and accurate pieces. It thus leads to the client’s satisfaction as he gets uniform and faultless products. This is what makes these machines crucial for the industries where quality cannot be compromised.
- Expanded capabilities – When used in combination with advanced CAD/CAM software, CNC machines can generate outputs that cannot be matched by traditional human-operated machines.